Plant type: cactus.
Description: Trichocereus tree cactus has a columnar shape. These plants reach a fairly large height, about 4-5 meters or more. In diameter, they are about 25 cm. The nature of growth can be branched or closed. The needles of the cactus are mostly small (about 2 cm), have a V-shape, and are colored yellow-brown. On the cactus, from 4 to 9 ribs are formed, which on young plants have a grayish-green tint. Mature plants are dark green in color. Under good conditions, the ribs are quite thick and do not have any notches or convolutions.
- Origin: South America.
- Care: This plant is easy to care for.
- Growth rate: Trichocereus grows about 30 cm per year.
Flowering: Large white flowers about 20 cm in size often appear on the top of the cactus at night. Flowers have a pleasant aroma. Scales of flower stems are pubescent. Black colour.
Lighting: full sun. The more sunlight, the better. When growing indoors, it is best to take the plants outside in direct sunlight. If the light rate is insufficient, the cactus will become scrawny, and it will be vulnerable to animals and wind exposure.
Soil type: Trichocereus flowering cactus grows best in slightly alkaline soil. The following soil composition is also perfect: sand, peat, perlite, garden soil, crushed pumice, gravel, compost.
Watering: Trichocereus, like many other cacti, does not require a large amount of moisture. You can water little by little, but care must be taken that the soil is not wet for more than seven days. Many gardeners recommend watering Trichocereus once abundantly as the soil dries completely. In spring and autumn, you need to water the plant rarely. When grown in cold climates, watering is practically not required. A large amount of water leads to rotting of the cactus.
Fertilizers: for mature Trichocereus, you can make natural organic top dressing.
Propagation by seeds or cuttings
If you decide to reproduce Trichocereus by planting seeds, then you must do the following:
1) Choose a special soil mixture. Its composition depends on the region in which you live. If the climatic conditions are cold, then the mixture should be rather dry, if warm, then the soil should be well-drained and contain a sufficient amount of sand. Ideally selected composition of the soil will dry out after watering within 1-3 days. Try to avoid the presence of organic residues. In moist soil, they will stimulate the development of bacteria. Also, do not select soil with a lot of nutrients. Start growing cactus in poor soil, and then, over time, you can fertilize it.
2) The soil can be poured into any container, be it containers or pots. The vessel should be about three-quarters full.
3) Now that the soil and pots are prepared, you need to plant the seeds. The main condition is not to bury them too deep. You can scatter the seeds on the surface of the soil and leave them like that, or sprinkle them with a thin layer of sand.
4) After planting the seeds, the pot must be watered, but in a small amount.
5) Lighting should be neither too bright nor too dark. At the beginning of cultivation, lighting can be artificial, such as fluorescent. As the formation of trichocereus, the light rate must be gradually increased.
6) The temperature regime should be within 20-30°C.
Reproduction by planting shoots
As a rule, shoots appear on cacti, which can then be planted. This propagation method is easier than planting seeds. Often offspring appear at the top of the plant. They should be cut with a sharp, clean blade diagonally. Then they can be planted. Rooting is fast.
Varieties and hybrids: This cactus has many hybrids, as it is often crossed with other varieties.
Optional: you can prune Trichocereus, in which case it will quickly grow branches. After pruning, the cactus will have a dense germination pattern.
Uses: Trichocereus has long been used as a hallucinogen in South America. To date, it has found similar applications around the world. The plant contains the alkaloid mescaline. This substance can cause visual and auditory hallucinations. Also in countries with a warm climate, it is often used for decorative purposes due to its hardiness, relatively fast growth and attractive appearance.