Erigeron (lat. Erigeron ) is an extensive genus, including more than 350 varieties of flowering herbaceous plants. Belongs to the Astrov family. Under natural conditions, representatives of the genus are widely distributed in North America. The plant erigeron bears the second name “small-flowered”.
Leaf blades are elongated, entire or dissected into small lobes, formed at the base of the stems. The length of the leaves is 10 – 15 cm.
Flowers – baskets with a diameter of 4 cm, which can grow singly or form in corymbose inflorescences. The flowering of the small-flowered plant begins from the first summer days. Baskets bloom before frost.
The fruits are smooth or pubescent achenes.
Species and varieties
Beautiful small-flowered ( Erigeron speciosus ). Perennial species with a short rhizome, which is located horizontally relative to the ground. Stems erect, branching, abundantly covered with foliage. They have a rough surface. Leaf blades are lanceolate or spatulate.
Inflorescences corymbose, consist of several large baskets. Flowering begins in August, lasts until mid-September. Among the most interesting varieties of this species are the following:
“Violetta” – with terry purple baskets with a diameter of 4 – 5 cm.
“Prosperiti” – has blue inflorescences.
“Wuppertal” – a shrub 50 cm high with lush purple flowers with a diameter of 5 cm.
“Rote Shengayt” is a bright variety with piercing pink inflorescences.
“Lilofee” – a plant with baskets of a rich purple color.
“Rose Triumph” – a beautiful variety with pink inflorescences.
Karvinsky’s small bug ( Erigeron karvinskianus ). One of the most popular varieties in ornamental gardening. Reaches 15 – 20 cm in height. The bush is grown both in a container and in open ground. Shoots thin, branched, rough. Throughout the summer season, bright pink baskets with a lush yellow core form on the tops of the stems.
Erigeron orange ( Erigeron aurantiacus ). Semi-shrub with erect stems, covered with hard pile. Reaches a little less than half a meter in height. The diameter of the bush is 40 – 50 cm. The stems are ascending, with little branching. Leaf plates are oval, with an elongated base. The flowers are orange with a yellow core, 3 cm in diameter.
Alpine Erigeron ( Erigeron alpinus ). Perennial variety with erect stems. Leaf blades are linear-lanceolate, entire. The flowers are pink-lilac. Flowering begins in July, lasts for 1.5 months.
An annual small-flowered ( Erigeron annuus ). A plant with straight fleecy shoots can reach from 30 to 150 cm in height. Branching of the stems is observed in the upper part. The leaves are dissected, bright green.
Canadian small-flowered ( Erigeron canadensis ). Decorative herbaceous annual. It is a semi-shrub with straight stems with light branching in the upper part. Plant height is 40 – 60 cm. Baskets are small in size, white in color with a dark yellow core.
Acid small-petal ( Erigeron acris ). A biennial species from which many ornamental forms are derived. Semi-shrub with straight pubescent stems reaches 70 cm in height. Leaf plates are oval, with solid edges, a rich green hue. The inflorescences are racemose, compact, consist of several baskets, the diameter of which does not exceed 2 cm.
These photos illustrate the description of the erigeron flower of various species and varieties:
Sowing seeds for seedlings
Despite the fact that there are several types of propagation of this crop (using seeds, dividing the bush, cuttings), most gardeners practice the seed method.
Erigeron seeds are planted for seedlings with the onset of spring. Small containers of medium depth are filled with a light nutrient substrate, moistened, and seed is laid out on its surface.
From above, the crops are tightly covered with polyethylene, cleaned in a cool, well-lit place. In about a month, sprouts will sprout. After that, the shelter is removed, the container with seedlings is transferred to a warm place, where bright diffused light will fall on it.
Plants that form a second leaf are planted in separate pots. After the seedlings get stronger, they are transferred to the loggia. Care in the form of irrigation is carried out after the top layer of the earth has dried by 1 cm.
Planting seedlings in the ground
For planting a small-scale pest, you need to choose the right place. Since this plant grows well in both sunny and shaded areas, it can be planted in any part of the garden, but it is important to consider that this crop does not tolerate excess moisture. It is not recommended to plant it in the lowlands and in those places where the soil will be constantly wet.
Planting seedlings on the site should be carried out in early June. The distance between plants should be at least 35 cm, otherwise, when growing, they will interfere with each other to develop and bloom.
The transplantation of bushes is carried out very carefully, trying to keep the root system intact, while seizing a clod of earth with roots. A flower obtained in this way will begin to form buds in the second year of life.
Sowing seeds in open ground
Erigeron seeds can be planted immediately in open ground in the spring after the snow cover has melted and stable warm weather has been established, or before winter. In autumn, the seeds should be planted in the soil after the cold weather sets in and the Indian summer is over. In this way, early germination of seeds can be avoided.
Rules for growing erigeron when planting seeds in open ground:
- Dig up the area for sowing in advance, wait until the earth settles a little, level it with a rake, remove lumps.
- Make a ridge with furrows 1-2 cm deep.
- Scatter the seed into the furrows, level the surface. After the emergence of shoots, thin out the crops, leaving a distance between them of about 12 – 15 cm.
- Transplanted seedlings to a permanent place.
The division of the bush
The erigeron bush is divided during transplantation. To do this, they take an overgrown perennial specimen, carefully remove it from the soil, divide it into equal parts with the help of a sharp knife, preserving the root system of each of them.
Places of cuts are sprinkled with crushed charcoal or chalk. This will help prevent infection. The delenki are immediately planted in a permanent place.
Caring for erigeron with any method of planting in open ground is very simple. It is enough to perform standard activities during the growing season and the flower will delight with a beautiful well-groomed view.
- Watering. This culture does not need frequent watering, on the contrary, rot will affect the root system from excess moisture. It is enough to irrigate the bushes 1 – 2 times a week in extreme heat and with a long absence of rain. After carrying out water procedures, weeding is necessary, loosening the soil near the bush to saturate the roots with oxygen.
- Topdressing. If the soil on the site is sufficiently nutritious, additional fertilization will not be necessary. If the soil should be nourished, it is recommended to use a potassium-phosphorus additive, which will contribute to the active growth of green mass by the plant and abundant flowering. Top dressing should be applied during the formation of buds.
- Preparing for the winter. Biennial and perennial varieties are prepared for winter with the onset of cold weather. The aerial part of the plants is cut off, leaving 2-3 cm of stem length. Laid on top. So the root system will successfully endure low temperatures.
- Fight against diseases and pests. The root system of erigeron is sometimes damaged by fungal infections. This happens due to excessive watering or the close occurrence of groundwater. To prevent the formation of mold before flowering, as well as during it, the bush is treated with fungicides. Affected specimens are sprinkled with wood ash. Heavily damaged bushes are dug up and destroyed.
Application in the garden
The small-scale pest for its decorative properties and unpretentiousness has gained great popularity among gardeners. The range of application of the universal flower is very wide.
It is great for filling voids in different, even shaded areas of the garden. It is used to decorate paths, decorate borders, create colorful flower beds, mixborders, ridges, alpine slides.
Erigeron harmoniously looks next to flowers such as veronica, garden daisies, geraniums, marigolds, zinnias, asters, geyhera, daisies, marigolds, lyatrises, phloxes. A small-scale plant is also planted in containers, which are placed on verandas, resting places in the garden.
This culture can be planted almost anywhere in the flower garden, where you need to fill the voids.